Saturday, August 20, 2011

It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas

I finally got to play with some of the pre-ordered items from the Holiday Mini Catalog (HMC) The HMC sales begin Sept 1. I also grabbed a few of the items that are new in the Idea Book & Catalog (IBC) that I haven't had much chance to explore. Christmas is just around the corner, you know! I had so much fun!
I have marked the new items with HMC or IBC to indicate where you can find them.

Simple - but too cute! I used the new stripes embossing folder (IBC) and inked it with Always Artichoke the first time, then cleaned it and inked it with Cherry Cobbler. When I placed the paper in the folder this time, I turned it 90 degrees.
Before stamping the sentiment with Basic Black I sponged on some Whisper White craft ink - a trick I found in the IBC (p.115) Your IBC is a great resource for ideas and techniques. They do not include the supply list in the back any more, but there is a link on the web site so you can look them up or print a copy if you want - Stampin Supplies.

Card Stock - Always Artichoke, Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White
Ink - Always Artichoke, Cherry Cobbler, Basic Black, Whisper White craft ink
Ribbon - Cherry Cobbler Quilted Ribbon (HMC)
Stamp Set - Four the Holidays
Tools - Big Shot, Stripes embossing folder (IBC)

This card uses a new alphabet set I got free through the Sale-A-Bration campaign this spring. Demonstrators receive free stamp sets based on their total sales. I got to choose 2 stamps sets (any value).

Card Stock - Always Artichoke, Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White
Stamp Set - Occasions Alphabet (IBC)
Ink pads and markers - Cherry Cobbler, Always Artichoke
Ribbon - Cherry Cobbler Bakers twine (IBC), Cherry Cobbler Quilted Satin (HMC)
Tools - Big Shot, Stripes embossing folder (IBC), Small Oval punch


For this card, I was practicing my 3D stamping technique. It is hard to see how it really looks from the photo but it turned out pretty cool - I will definitely use it again. If you would like to learn the 3D stamping technique - join us for Technique Tuesday on October 18. You can see the details on my calendar blog.
Lovely as a Tree is the other free stamp set I got through Sale-A-Bration. I have always liked it but never had a chance to buy it - and now I got it free!

Card Stock - Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake
Stamp Set - Lovely as a Tree
Ink - Whisper White craft ink, Cherry Cobbler, Always Artichoke
Embellishments - Linen thread, Mini brads (IBC ), Mini Jingle Bells (HMC)
Tools - Big Shot, Stripes embossing folder (IBC), Ticket Corner punch


This card features several of the items in the HMC. The Designer Series Paper (DSP) is called Frostwood Lodge. It has three designs of this bark type paper (Cherry Cobbler, Early Espresso - both on white - and there is Early Espresso with a lighter brown background). It also has plaid, houndstooth, and gingham designs in Cherry Cobbler, Garden Green, Marina Mist and Early Espresso.
The little 'adornment' is made using one of the Big Designer Buttons (HMC ) The button in Soft Suede has a diameter of 1.5 inches.


I used the little pine cone stamp from the Lovely as a Tree on Whisper White. In the HMC there are circles of adhesive frames to make shakers in no time. It also has the mica flakes that I used inside the shaker frame. The circle on top of the shaker was cut from one of the plaids designs in the Frostwood Lodge DSP.
My daughter barely tolerates my 'addiction' but she did say the shakers were 'Pretty neat!"

Card Stock - Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White, Frostwood Lodge DSP (HMC)
Ink - Early Espresso, Always Artichoke
Ribbon - Cherry Cobbler seam binding
Stamp Set - Christmas Greetings, Lovely as a Tree
Embellishments- Spice Cake Big Designer Button(HMC), Mica Flakes (HMC), Shaker Frame (HMC), Window Sheet
Tools - 1 1/4 inch circle punch, 1 inch punch, Ticket Corner punch


Another demo used the Delicate Doilies as snowflakes so I thought I would try that. (Of course snowflakes are six-sided and the doilies are eight -sided - but who cares !)
I used the largest shaker frame here to make a little snowflake shaker.
I wanted to add some ribbon and liked the organza but it only comes in white - so I simply dyed some using the ink pad and a sponge. I let that dry for several hours (while I played) so it would not smear ink on the card front.
Card Stock - Not Quite Navy, Whisper White
Ink - Not Quite Navy
Stamp sets - Delicate Doilies (IBC), Delightful Decorations, Four the Holidays
Ribbon - Organza dyed with Not Quite Navy
Tools - 1 3/8 inch scallop circle punch. 1 inch circle punch
Embellishments - Mica flakes (HMC), Window Sheet

I do not have any current snowflake stamps so used the ornament from the Delightful Decorations to get my snowflake on the blue background. Looking at the photo gives me an idea to put a piece of Not Quite Navy as the background for the shaker and stamp a snowflake using white Stazon ink on the window sheet - maybe even put a tiny pearl in the center.

So many cute ideas - and I haven't even started to play with my other new toys - Stitched Stocking stamp set, Stocking Builder punch, Stitched Felt accents and Holly Berry Bouquet buttons. Oh well, tomorrow is another day :-) Now it is time for supper - homemade pizza!

1 comment:

BeeJane said...

Pretty cards and so many fun new items coming in that Holiday Mini.