Sunday, April 14, 2013

Scraps challenge

 Today I challenged myself to use up some scraps.  I have so many of them that they are taking over the craft room :-) 

I pulled these from the Whisper White supply.  Two are embossed with the Honeycomb folder and one was a piece cut with the Top Note die.  This were from other projects that I did not need for some reason - and just threw them in with my stock.

To go with those I grabbed these items from a shoebox where I had thrown items left over from a day of crafting - to sort and put away later and that never happened.

So - here is the first card I finished. I used one of the honeycomb pieces and spritzed some Summer Starfruit on it.   Then I took 4 other colors - Regal Rose, Bashful Blue, Tangerine Tango and Wild Wasabi and cut strips.  The Wild Wasabi was embossed with the SAB Vine folder. 

To get the rounded edges, I placed just one end in the 1 1/4 circle punch.  The strips were about 1 inch wide.   This works great!

Then to get the 'stairstep' lengths I took the shortest one (Wild Wasabit) and laid it on top of color #2 - Tangerine Tango.  I just cut the second piece a little longer using a pair of scissors. The edge did not have to be prefectly straight since I was going to cover it with ribbon.  I did that with the remaining 2 colors.

I lined them up on the lower portion of the card front (The photo is really upside down).  The hexagons on the white made it easy to get these in a straight line.  Then I just wrapped the ribbon around over the edges of the strips and added the flower.  



This one also uses the honeycomb background.  The Wild Wasabi is the remainder of the piece of Wild Wasabi with the vine embossing.   I tied around the scrap of Soft Suede ribbon and mounted that on a piece of Soft Suede card stock and then put it all on a Whisper White card.   I tried adding circles and ovals of the other colors but just did not look right.  At one point the ovals on the green might have made a cute Easter card but I did not want to go that direction.  So I just added the simple Hello stamp from the Tiny Tags set and said "Done!"   I like it and it is such a simple design I  will probably make more  :-)



Number 3 uses the Top Note die.  I adhered it to a piece of Regal Rose so that it hung off the edge - then trimmed it flush.   The swirly stamp is from a retired set but any decorative stamp would do.   The Certainly Celery satin ribbon is accented with a piece of Pretty in Pink gingham ribbon that I found on the clearance rack a couple years ago.  I hate to see Pretty in Pink leaving since I use it a lot for baby girls (and have that new granddaughter !) I'm sure I will find alternates.  I used the birthday sentiment from Petite Pairs ......


and stamped the other half of it inside with another one of the decorative swirls.  I think this is the favorite of the 3 scrappy cards I made.

So here is what I did with my scraps.......

or at least some of them.  This is what I had left after making those 3 cards (see the ovals and circles that I tried to use on card #2)   Saving those for another day :-)

And speaking of the new granddaughter - meet Adelyn Kaylee --


here she is 4 days old and visiting Grandma and Grandpa at work.  We just love her!

No comments: