Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bakers Twine Holders - A Recycling Project

I saw these on another blog and had to try them. Always looking for ways to recycle the many plastic containers that I have from brads, buttons, etc.


These are now Baker's Twine Holders- with color coordinated flowers on top (Cherry Cobbler, Early Espresso and Whisper White). Cute (and so easy!)

I took one of the small containers that Stampin Up uses to package brads and buttons and peeled off as much of the label as I could. (Be sure to use the ones that are not divided into sections - will have to think of something else for those).

With the Crop-a-dile, punch the smaller hole in the side of the container. It is so easy with the Crop-a-dile! I was surprised.

Take the inner core of an empty ribbon spool - be sure it is not too tall to fit in the container - some of them are just too big. I punched out two scallop circles (2 3/8 inch) from card stock or the thin cardboard that comes in the DSP packages (more recycling). Adhere to each side of the spool. I guess if you wanted to you could punch a hole in the center of the scallop that matched the inner core and assemble it that way. I did try to use the cardboard that comes on the spool but it was so thick I could not get as much Baker's Twine on so I went back to my card stock.

You can see my scallop cardstock spool with the Cherry Cobbler Baker's Twine wound around it. I have used quite a bit of the Cherry Cobbler and Whisper White but just a small piece of the Early Espresso. The Early Espresso just fit on my scalloped spool.


Decorate the top as desired. Insert the end of the Baker's twine through the hole in the side of the container and place the spool in the container, Close the lid. Now - isn't that clever. The twine is easily accessible without tangling and knotting up.


And here are a few fun pictures from a road trip with DD2 last weekend. We drove to Chicago to visit family and while there went to a really nice park next to the train station near Grandpa's (the restaurant where we ate). Here DD2 joined some children reading a book and playing with a train.

And this is the Bear Fountain. It has numerous animals depicted down the column. It had actually resided in another area and was moved to this location when the park was created.


We had a great time and Grandpa sure does know how to cook! Or maybe Grandma was hiding in the kitchen.

No comments: