Sunday, February 22, 2009

Titus 2

The church is also starting a Titus 2 program. In this the women meet in small groups with a 'leader' and share their concerns, prayer requests and just get to know each other better. This is based on Titus 2:3-5
Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior,not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
(Okay- I know we hate the 'submissive' part but that is a word that has been distorted by the World and meant to mean something bad rather than the God-honoring act of respecting and honoring the husband who is the head of the home - doesn't mean he is a 'dictator')

Anyway, the Titus 2 program is meant to develop deeper relationships between women within the church community and help us help each other. There is always someone who is more mature in their faith that we can learn from and someone who is less mature who we can teach.

The women are also planning some Titus 2 group fellowship activities throughout the year like Knitting and Crocheting (getting together to knit or crochet blankets and hats for the Mosaic pregnancy center), Pie baking or Cardmaking. We could even just have a recipe swap or something - anything that gets women together with others so they get to know them.
Our church has about 300 who attend regularly and some have been there since the beginning when there were 30-50 while others have just joined recently (since we joined 2 years ago we have grown from 250 to 300) so there always seem to be a new face on Sunday morning.

I have made the effort to get together with women more - especially those that I don't see during Sunday School or other activities. It has been a great way to share my faith and my experiences - sometimes encouraging the other women in her walk and sometimes strengthening my walk by reminding me of the way God has been faithful through a variety of struggles. One thing I have learned over the years is that everyone has struggles - no matter how collected and perfect they may look on Sunday morning, they are either in going into a struggle, in the midst of a struggle or coming out of a struggle. And some are in struggles that will never end on this side of Heaven.

As I am getting older, I find I am bolder and more direct in talking to others when they are suffering - not beating around the bush or just saying "I'll pray for you." or "Call me if I can do anything." Most likely they won't call so I often suggest some ways they can let me help. Sometimes they take me up on it and sometimes they don't - but I know it encourages them to know I am willing. (Been in similar situations and some of the most encouraging times were when someone would offer to do something even if I did not take them up on it - it just made me feel better knowing that they were offering.)

Our Titus 2 group met last Saturday when I was in Chicago - we will meet once a month. I was sorry to miss it but I made the other plans before the date was set. I will have to mark my calendar for the rest of the year so I don't miss again unless it is unavoidable.

No comments: