Sunday, January 4, 2009

Charity Cross-stitch

For several years I have been cross-stitching for charity through several organizations. Most use counted cross-stitch squares to make quilts for sick or terminally ill children. Others make quilts for senior citizens to let them know we haven't forgotten them. I am moderator for a Yahoo group (CSFC) that enables stitchers to contribute to a number of charities and we have also made a few quilts within our group to give to relatives or friends of our members.

I have posted my final squares for 2008 in my webshots album, 2008 Cross Stitching.


This cherry pie will be part of a quilt for Jake at Love Quilts. He is a young boy who wanted 'fun foods' for his theme. This is a Mary Engelbreit kit that I found on E-Bay and added the border to make it large enough for the quilt square.

This is the same chart done for Quilts for Seniors who makes lap quilts for senior citizens. This is for their teatime theme or it could be used for the kitchen theme. They use smaller squares so I did not have to add a border but I did the background grid to personalize it.

This Care Bear will go to Cuddle Cushions who makes pillows for sick children. One of the groups I belong to (Quilts for Older Children) has ongoing signups for Cuddle Cushions. The moderator posts scans of fabric squares that she has to donate to Cuddle Cushions and the stitchers sign up to do squares to match up to the fabric. This will go with a fabric that has a blue background and smiling stars scattered around. It is perfect for this chart.
This is another Cuddle Cushions donation. The fabric for this one is lime green with pink and purple accents. It has Care Bears scattered on the fabric as well.

If you would like to see more of my charity stitching, you can use the link on the years below.
This year I did 68 items for charity (5 of the photos in my album are gifts I made so they don't count as a charity). In 2007, I did 123 charity items which also included bookmarks and ornaments. In 2006, I did 114 and in 2005, I did 66 (I did not start stitching for charity until April of 2005 or I would have hit 100 then too). I slowed down in 2008 because of other craft demands, like a scrapbook for DH19's high school graduation - and knitting about 8 baby blankets. Well -back to the most recent baby blanket. I am anxious to get it done so I can get busy on some cross stitch squares that are due by 2/1/09.

No comments: