Saturday, April 21, 2012

Using up leftovers - a win-win - and cardmaking with friends

I am bad about not using up leftovers but fortunately DH takes his lunch to work and will take about any leftover as part of a lunch. Lately I have made it my goal to try to NOT have to throw any leftovers away after they have been in the frig for way too long :-)
Yesterday I used the leftover pasta sauce on pizza.  Later Bekah came home from work and wanted a personal pizza (no cheese please) and I had to open a jar of pizza sauce for that.  The canned pizza sauce was so watery and horrible compared to the thick pasta sauce - yuck!  I may be making my own pizza sauce along with the crust in the future.

This morning I wanted something different for breakfast - cereal and oatmeal get old after a while. I dug through the frig and found some leftover fried potatoes with onions and peppers -  perfect!  I put them in a small skillet with a little olive oil and heated them well.  Threw in a tablespoon or so of bacon bits - and a beaten egg.  A breakfast scramble as good as (or even better than) Bob Evans!   So patting myself on the back for salvaging those potatoes from the back of the frig and enjoying a nice breakfast on a beautiful Saturday morning.

Later today some ladies from church are coming over to make thank you cards for the military.  These will be sent to Operation Write Home to be used as Any Hero cards that they include in the boxes of greeting cards for the troops.   I played yesterday with some scrapbook paper I had stashed away and came up with two designs for us to make today.

 Most of the items used on these cards are either retired Stampin Up or not Stampin Up.   Card stock for these two are Night of Navy and Real Red - with Whisper White of course.   These two use the same layout and sizes of card stock - the patterned paper, stamp set and ribbon makes each one unique.

Again - retired or non-Stampin Up.  The card stock is Riding Hood Red, Night of Navy, and Whisper White. Same layout and sizes.  It will be fun to see what the others come up with using the same elements.

No comments: