Thursday, May 14, 2009

Wellness Challenge


The hospital where I work has started a wellness challenge - over a 16 week period. At the beginning of the challenge, those wanting to participate had were evaluated for 'wellness'. Things like BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose were measured. We were also given the criteria that would be scored at the end of the 16 weeks.
BMI under 25
Blood pressure less than 120/80
Cholesterol less than 200
Glucose less than 100

Each parameter is worth a number of points. Other points can be received if you document 30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times a week throughout the challenge and by doing 4 wellness activities (annual physical, mammogram, PSA, dental checkup, vision exam, weight watchers, or any of the wellness sessions they have scheduled).

Anyone who scores the maximum (100 points) will receive $200. I am on my way! At the beginning my blood pressure was 122/80 (the room was very noisy and everyone's BP was running high - I don't think the nurses could hear very well in the noise) and my BMI was 25.5.
Well, my BMI is now 24.5 and the last 2 times I have had my BP checked (blood drive and a dr's appt) it was 106/62.

I was already doing weight watcher online and I was due for my mammogram, dental exam ,vision exam and annual physical before June 23 (the end of the challenge). I also have been walking for 3o minutes at least 3 times a week.

While most of my weight loss was prior to the challenge - it has been hard getting down below 25 on the BMI. I want to get down to 24 so I have room to spare since things like Memorial Day, birthday, DD17's graduation fall between now and June 23.

No comments: