Saturday, August 10, 2013

The family that Crafts together - laughs together ??

Some family craft time today - first some family and friends who are like family got together to make some cards.  So much fun!  Had some new techniques to show them and they loved all three.

This is a new technique to everyone - baby wipe plaid.   It uses glossy white card stock and a couple baby wipes folded into a applicator.  Drops of ink are put on the baby wipe and then smeared on the paper.   I found the technique here - Baby Wipe Background
 
 
This card used a baby wipe to make a stamp pad that is inked with drops of several colors.  I've done this years ago but don't use it very often.  It was fun for the oak leaves in the Lovely As A Tree stamp set.  The sentiment is from the Trust God set.  Don't the Calypso Coral candy dots make the card pop?

 
My favorite new technique uses painter's tape - yes, the blue tape you use to mask off areas where you don't want the paint to go.  Take a strip of the painter's tape and lay it on the ink pad so the sticky side is against the pad.  Rub gently with your finger tip then take the tape and lay it across the card stock.  Run a little - remove the tape.   You can repeat if necessary to get the amount of ink you want.  I found the new foam pads worked best but the old woven ones were okay - you just have to rub harder.

After the card makers left, my daughter and granddaughter came over so we could work on a mobile for the nursery.  My daughter found this idea on Pinterest.
 
 
The nursery is yellow and gray so my daughter wanted it to match.  We found a yellow plastic embroidery hoop at Michael's and some clear fibers for making jewelry.  Total cost was about $8.  Of course, I had lots of paper so I pulled out Smoky Slate, Daffodil Delight, Crushed Curry and So Saffron.  I also had some designer series paper (DSP) with stripes and polka dots in gray/white and yellow/white.  I cut out lots of circles and flowers using the Circles Framelits and Floral Frames Framelits.  So easy and quick! I glued the DSP on some solid card stock to make it sturdier. 
We took 4 yard lengths of the fiber and looped it over the hoop.  Then pierced a small hole in the center of a shape and ran the two ends of the fiber through the hole.  Tied a small knot in the fiber.  
 
 
 
We just did it randomly and sometime put two shapes close togetherso when it hangs the two line up and looks like the center to a flower, etc.
 
 
Here is what it will look like from the crib.   With the ceiling fan on the shapes will turn and seem to float in the air. 
We put 7 strands of shapes on the hoop and I adhered by putting a little Crystal Effects where the fiber is looped over the hoop.  I took three more strands of the fiber and evenly spaced them around the hoop and pulled them up to form a hanger.  I added a little Crystal Effects to them too.   We are going to tie those three strands to a small curtain ring and then hang it from the ceiling. 
I'm pretty happy with it.  Glad my daughter wanted to try it.    Love finding things on Pinterest that are useful :-)

No comments: