Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 4 Operation Write Home project

 
My project (or mission ) for July 4th is to use the odds and ends of designer papers and make some cards for Operation Write Home (OWH).  OWH provides handmade cards for the military personnel to write home to loved ones.   I love making cards but there is no way I could use all that I make so this is a great way to share my talent.


 I had a stack of scraps all cut the same size that worked well for these triple pane cards.   Really quick and easy but colorful, bright, fun cards.


 Another triple pane and a very simple card using some polka dot paper.  The paper reminds me of confetti or sprinkles. 


I pulled out a new stamp set, Road to Happiness, for this one.  I think it would make a great birthday card for a teen-ager who is getting their license :-) 


Some more sketch stamps.  I have lots more to play with in the 3 sets I got off E-Bay.   "Thinking of you" cards are requested by the soldiers.

And a couple more using the same Melon Mambo background paper.  Very pretty paper with a tiny feminine flower design.  The Fancy Flower punch is one of my favorite and it fits nicely on the 2 3/8 Scallop Circle punch.   I use that combination a lot.

Operation Write Home also accepts Any Hero cards.  These are cards made for the soldiers to thank them for their service.  There are less restrictions on those.  I always try to include some of them in my shipments.  Here are a few I made today.


Since it is Independence Day, I used a red, white and blue theme.  Seems I had quite a bit of red or blue designer paper scraps.  


If you aren't able to make cards but would like to send some thank you cards to the soldiers, you can do so. They do not have to be handmade cards.  They suggest writing a short note about your family or life events as the troops like to hear that life is going on as normal back home.   Today with email and skype, many of them stay in touch without the cards but a card is something tangible that was held by the other person and selected especially for you.  Much more personal and encouraging than an email :-)

No comments: