Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cleaning out some scraps

I told myself I could not make any other cards until I used up some of my retired scraps - namely the Fall Flowers DSP. This paper coordinates with Old Olive and Sahara Sand in the current colors, Really Rust and Soft Sky in the retired colors. I never did have any Soft Sky but did have some odd sheets of Really Rust or Dusty Durango (very similar) so had to use those up too. I did a few just random cards and then had so many small scraps I just decided to make pinwheels - 16 to be exact :-) However, I did come up with some different ideas for the pinwheels. These were mounted on card stock or DSP and I used the linen thread to add an accent. I had some old buttons and one of the sets had the Really Rust and Old Olive buttons - what luck!
To make the pinwheel you use 2 squares of card stock as the base (You can check out my tutorail here - for the ones I made today I used 1 inch squares of DSP and 2 1/4 inch for the base squares) On a couple I decided to take some slightly larger squares and make a second base to add a contrasting frame. This one used 2 1/4 inch squares of Old Olive for the base squares and then 2 3/4 inch squares of Sahara Sand for the frame.


These just demonstrate different ways to use ribbon. I had some 5/8 inch grograin Old Olive ribbon that I used on these. The one of the left has the ribbon gathered by attaching a strip of Sticky Strip then just scrunching up the ribbon as you adhere it across the card.

The middle one had the ribbon wrapped and then a short piece of ribbon tied to that to make a faux bow. For the one on the right I tied a knot in the ribbon and then attached it to the card.


For these I used the ribbon punch and mounted that on a strip of solid card stock.



The one on the right shows a little different way of using the three different oval sizes to mount a sentiment. I like the 'off-centered' look.


So - what fun - right? One package of retired paper down and about 20 more to go. Of course, there are more on the clearance rack - maybe I should stock up!!!

No comments: