Saturday, February 13, 2010

Purse Post-it Tutorial


Many have asked for the Purse Post-it instructions so here they are - if you want to make a template just follow the instructions up to the point where I start adding the ribbon handle. Keep that piece of card stock as your template. The dimensions will work with a standard 3 x 3 inch pad of Post-its. I usually split the pad in half and put only one half in each purse- they fit better that way.

Cut a piece of card stock 4 7/16 by 8 inches. Measuring from one of the short edges (this will be the flap of the purse - we will call it edge A), score at 1 1/8 and 1 3/8 inches. Turn it and measure from the other short edge (the bottom of the purse, we will call this edge B) and score at 3 and 3 1/2 inches. ( I used Dusty Durango from Stampin Up for this one.)

On edge A make a mark 3/4 inch from each corner.
On edge B make a mark 1/2 inch from each corner.



I draw a dashed line to help in the cutting. Connect the marks on edge A to the 3 1/2 inch score line. Connect the marks on edge B to the 3 inch score line.

This is one of the corners with the 1/2 inch mark and diagonal line drawn to the score line.

Cut along the lines to create the angled sides of the purse.
There- you have your template.

To complete the purse. Fold along the score lines. Attach a piece of ribbon or cording (the 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon from Stampin Up works perfectly - I used Very Vanilla) between the score lines closest to edge A. Be careful to not twist the 'handle' when attaching. I used Sticky Strip to attach mine.

To decorate the front and back I cut two 1 1/2 inch strips of a card stock and two 1 1/4 inch strips of DSP. In my sample I used Pumpkin Pie card stock and Razzleberry Lemonade DSP. The length is not critical - it just needs to be longer than the width of the purse where you are going to adhere it.

Adhere the DSP to the card stock. I put them about 1/2 from the score lines (purse bottom) so the flap does not cover the stripe on the front.

Trim down the stripe to match the purse edges. I usually flip it over and cut along the purse edge.

Since I had my Trio Flower punch out I decided to decorate it with those.
I waited to add the flowers until after adhering the stripe to the side of the purse because I wanted them evenly spaced. I should have measured the stripe, trimmed it down, added the flowers and then adhered to the purse. If I had done it that way the backs of my brads would not be showing inside. - Oh well - lesson learned.
I used my mat pack and piercing tool to evenly space the flowers. The brads are some I had pre-Stampin Up demonstrator days.

I added a piece of Velcro fastener to the flap and purse front. I have found the easiest way to do this is put the two pieces of Velcro together. Remove the paper from one piece and adhere to the purse flap where you want it. Remove the paper from the other piece (do not separate the two pieces) and push the flap down onto the purse front being careful to 'center' the flap. That way the Velcro is exactly where you want it. Now you can separate the Velcro.



The fake snap on the front is something I had from pre-Stampin Up days also. When I run out of those I will probably use a brad (vintage, silver or gold) and put it on before adding the Velcro.
Hope this wasn't too confusing. I had not made any for a while and had to re-learn the process.

It's really fun coming up with designs and color combinations. If you try this, let me know how they turned out and post a link to photos if you have them.

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing the template - these are adorable!

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing your template! I can't wait to try this - so cute!

Mary Cavalier said...

Cindy - Let me know if you try them and post pictures. :-)

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful tutorial! Thank you so, so much! I made these as party favors for a little girl's birthday I was doing for a friend. I will hopefully be able to post pictures on my blog soon and will definitely be giving you all the credit for the idea!! Found you through Stampin' Connection. :)

Blessings, Heidi
stuckonstampin.blogspot.com

Mary Cavalier said...

Thanks Heidi - I will follow you too.

Kelly @Indiana Inker said...

Very cute! Thanks for the tutorial! I'm now following you. I'd love for you to follow me as well...http://IndianaInker.blogspot.com.

Mary Cavalier said...

Kelly - Thanks! I will be following you too