Sunday, March 2, 2014

Icy morning = warm breakfast

It is an icy, wintry morning here.  Sleet and freezing rain during the night and some snow today.  So we are homebound - but that's okay.  We have power and lots of food - plus a DVR full of movies and lots of yarn for knitting. 

I offered to make French Toast for breakfast since eggs, bread and milk are the pre-storm necessities to pick up at the store, but my daughter preferred pancakes. 
Since I am on the weight loss challenge - wanted to do something healthier than syrup drenched pancakes.  I am not a big syrup eater anyway.  I like my French Toast with butter and jelly, or cinnamon sugar - no syrup.  Sometimes I eat pancakes with just butter or often with canned fruit filling and whipped cream - no syrup.


This morning I had a couple apples that needed to be eaten so sliced them up and made Fried Apples and added a few dried cranberries.  Two pancakes, 1/4 recipe of the fried apples and two slices of turkey bacon - under 300 calories.  It sure hit the spot and was not only warm but filling.

Some other 'keeper' recipes I have tried lately.
Blueberry Cobbler - a very simple dessert using fresh fruit.  The recipe, from a slow cooker cookbook I have had for years, suggests using blackberries, strawberries or a mixture of berries but I think it would also be good with sliced apples or diced peaches.  

Thai Chicken and Orange Glazed Carrots was a big hit with my husband.  The chicken was a little spicy so the sweet orange flavored carrots were a great side dish.  I did not measure the orange peel I used and I think it was a little more than what the recipe called for.  It sure made a difference in the dish.

And this meal did not even use any recipes - just made it up :-)  I will be adding it to my recipes blog just so I have it for future reference.  That blog is becoming my personal recipe box.


Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs and Stir Fried Vegetables 

No comments: