Sunday, March 23, 2014

Book launch reception and more cards

Some church friends and I attended a book launch reception for Rachel Wisdom and her first novel, A Shopkeeper's Daughter. Rachel's parents and grandparents are friends at church. It was fun to be a part of the celebration and I am looking forward to reading my autographed copy. 

Before and after the reception I spent some time in the craft room playing with some new ideas and products.  I've always liked paper doilies. I can remember using them in early elementary art classes especially around Valentine's Day.  I've seen some cute cards recently that interested me so gave some of them a try. 

 Here you use just a portion of the doily.   That was a pretty simple way to enhance a card. 


Using the half doily on opposite edges of a piece of cardstock I tied them together with some baker's twine. Another cutie. 

I've also seen several ideas for adding color to the doily. I decided to try some sponging. It works pretty well but you do have to be careful to not tear or crumple the doily.   



I sponged this one using Pear Pizazz and combined it with Daffodil Delight and Pool Party. 


Here the doily is sponged using Gold Encore ink ( so glad Stampin Up has that back in their catalog). I used the brushed gold paper for the card background and the flowers. It is ya little glossy so stamped the flowers using Black Cherry Stazon. It matches Cherry Cobbler pretty well. This will be a great golden anniversary card. 


Then I grabbed my stack of new products.  The designer series paper and stamp set are all in the Occasions mini catalog. The stamp set is a Sale-a- brat ion item  I saw where one demonstrator suggested putting a piece of waxed paper between the paper and the due. It certainly made it easier to pop out the paper after cutting. I think I'll be needing a second roll of waxed paper to store in my craft room.


For this one I randomly stamped 'love', tied on a few pieces of linen thread and added some punched flowers, leaves and a heart. I'll use this as an anniversary card. 

Hope to get in more cards today but first church, running over to see this cutie and pick up some things from her momma 


and making something for a food day at work tomorrow.   The 12 week weight loss challenge is nearing the end - 2 more weeks - and I'm pleased to say I am getting close to my goal. This is when I struggle the most because I tell myself it's okay to splurge, I can always lose a few pounds.  I'm just thankful the challenge ends before the first birthday party - so many goodies planned for it that I know I won't be able to pass up. 

No comments: