Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day

We had a good day - the girls loved all their gifts, even the 'surprise' ones that were not on their lists. DH likes the air compressor - just a little uncertain about what all he can do with it. I'm sure he will find all sorts of uses for it once he learns the ropes.

We went to DH's parents and had a good time. I took the bread pudding - quite a story there. I doubled the recipe and after I got it all mixed up in the crock pot was jotting down the recipe so I could post it here. I realized I did not double the milk - so stirred in 2 more cups. Then noticed the melted margarine was still sitting on the stove - so had to add that also. I turned on the crockpot and after about 1 1/2 hours checked it (was to cook on high for 1 hour then on low for 3-4 hours). I had turned it on Warm instead of High originally - so now what??? I turned it up to High and left it there for at least an hour. The recipe said to let it cook until it reached 160 degrees. So I kept checking that. I turned it down to Low after about 2 hours as the edges were getting too dark. When we had to leave it was around 150 degrees but after it sat in the trunk on the hour long ride it was close to 160 so we called it done. Everyone liked it - especially DH's brother who had never had it before and wanted to try it - that was the whole reason I made it today. Oh- and while making the syrup for it I couldn't remember if I put all the water into the pan either. It looked like I did (1 cup versus 2 cups) so DD19 and I figured I must have. Must have had way too much on my mind this morning - it certainly was not on cooking :-)

Here is the recipe:

8 slices bread (raisin bread works well)
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup raisins (1/4 cup if you use raisin bread)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Spray the crockpot with vegetable oil spray. Cut bread into cubes or tear into small pieces and place in crockpot. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over bread. Stir to mix. Cook on High for 1 hour and then on Low for 3-4 hours until thermometer placed in center reads 160 degrees.

Sauce:
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Melt margaring in saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add water, sugar and vanilla. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 2 minutes). Serve over warm bread pudding.


I had to leave the in-laws early to run back home then to the airport to pick up my sister who is visiting for a few days. I stopped at home and threw together some soups from mixes- Tortilla Soup and Creamy Wild Rice Soup for a light supper tonight. My sister's plane was actually early so I parked, walked into the terminal, walked right back out with her and then took off again. We had soup and salad for supper- which was just right after the big meal earlier.

DD19's boyfriend and 2 sisters are here playing Sing-It which was a gift for DD17. It sounds like a fun game - I'll have to try it when they are not around. You sing along to a song and it 'scores' you based on whether you are on key or not. Sounds like a good way to train your ear and voice. Of course, I don't want an audience when I try it. :-)

No comments: