Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Broccoli, Leeks and Spaghetti Squash

Last weekend was perfect for spending time in the kitchen.  Snow on the ground, hubby at work - and no commitments (lots to do around the house, but I would rather cook).. I had some produce items from the last couple baskets that I needed to use  - broccoli, leeks and spaghetti squash - so tried some new recipes.

Broccoli Cheese Soup
 The last two produce baskets from the Co-Op had broccoli and I just never know what to do with it except eat it raw with dip or in a salad with mayo, sugar, cranberries and sunflower seeds - and those get old soon.
I have the pound of Velveeta and found this recipe online - Cheesy Broccoli Soup
I think the only change I made was to omit the carrots and double the broccoli.   Everyone loved it and I had to put some aside with my name on it so I could take it to work for lunch one day this week.

Chicken with leeks and peppers
 We also got leeks in hte produce basket last week.  Never know what to do with them.  Found a recipe for Chicken with Leeks and Peppers and modified it a little (of course).   That was supper on Saturday - and we have lots of leftovers so won't have to cook at least one night this week :-)


Spaghetti Squash Veggie Toss


 
Another item I never know what to do with is spaghetti squash.  We are not big squash eaters, although Zucchini Fritters and Squash Puff have been some good dishes.  I tried a recipe (modified it of course :-) and came up with Spaghetti Squash Bake.

It was all very delicious. And pretty healthy too - since I am doing Wellness Wins at work.  I have lost 9 pounds in the past 5 weeks and have at least 8 more to lose over the next 11 weeks.  I have been using My Fitness Pal to track my calories eaten.  Lots of Sweatin to the Oldies and yoga to burn those calories and tone the muscles. And some snow shoveling this week :-)






No comments: