Sunday, February 17, 2013

Baby Shower #1

Our grand-daughter is arriving soon so it is time to shower her and mommy with lots of love and gifts.  The first shower was at our home with our extended families and friends.


It was a 'onesies' theme in yellow and gray (the nursery colors).  I cut out onesies using a pattern I had and Aunt Bekah helped cut the letters using the Big Shot to spell out "Welcome Adelyn Kaylee".

I modified my pattern slightly so that I used the 1 1/2 circle punch for the neckline and the small oval (retired) for the leg openings.   That way it was very easy to add the scallops by using the scalloped circle and scalloped oval punches.  Went so much faster this way.    The colors are So Saffron and Basic Gray.  I had the 1 inch clothespins from another project but found more at Joann's online to use for a fun part of the shower.    The clothesline is the Basic Gray stitched 1/4 inch ribbon.

And yes - the anchors for the clothesline are 1 lb boxes of Velveeta.  One of Adelyn's aunts decided they needed a cute name for the baby in utero before they knew the sex, so she suggested Velveeta - and it caught on.   I stamped the word 'little' in a 1 inch circle and put it on the 1 1/4 inch scallop to add a little to the box.  So 'little Velveeta' was a part of the shower. 

The party favors were also 'onesies' - the Baby Tees stampin wheel was perfect to make the sour cream container favors.  If you would like to see how to make them, check out my tutorial

I did not find any yellow or gray candies that I liked so they were filled with Dove hearts and Hershey's kisses and hugs.  (The left over favors are being recycled into Thank You cards)


The refreshments included cake, of course.  Hubby is hoping there is a lot left over. My daughter prefers whipped frosting but since she has gestational diabetes, she won't be eating much of it so it is buttercream for the new grandpa.


We also included a lot of fresh veggies and fruit.


And I got these cute little cheese crackers through a local co-op.  Taste just like goldfish crackers but the little duckies are so cute for a baby.  They were the perfect 'salty' accompaniment for the dark chocolate M&M's.


A friend of my daughter's is starting a floral business and I asked her to make a centerpiece for the coffee table that could be used in the nursery. Didn't she do a great job!


And of course, there were gifts - plenty of goodies to help the new parents care for their darling daughter. This is a baby afghan crocheted by my younger daughter.  She did a really good job.


And one of my favorites - a Green Bay Packers bib and hair bow :-) 


The guests played a game by decorating a onesie for Baby Adelyn and we hung them on the ribbon clothesline.  Everyone was a good sport and came up with some creative designs.


Mommy and Daddy chose the 3 they liked the most and those guests received a prize. These were the winners.

A last minute addition to the decoration - thinking I needed something on the door - I grabbed an extra onesie I had and added a bow - everyone thought it was cute.

It was so much fun decorating with the onesie theme.  When my daughter was a baby, my mom would pick up a pack of onesies everytime she went to Walmart.  I always think of her when I see a pack of onesies :-)  And now they come in so many cute designs. 

No comments: