Saturday, September 8, 2012

Fabric Workshop

Last evening was my fabric workshop - what fun we had!   I made 7 sample cards and the attendees chose 3 that they wanted to make.  (Didn't have time to make them all- but they got the instructions for all 7 plus 4 cute fabric projects).
Strip flower
The first one we did was the Strip Flower.  This uses 3 strips of fabric about 1/2 inch wide and 5 1/2 inches long.  Fold over into a loop and layer to make a flower.  We put a brad through the strips to hold it all together then covered the brad with a button.  A piece of linen thread was tied through the button before adding it.  A very simple but attractive card that could be for almost any occasion.

Gathered Flowers
We moved on to something a little more challenging - gathered flowers.  The flowers are made from the scallop die cut which is part of the Tasteful Trims Big Shot die.  One strip of scallops makes 2 flowers.  After cutting the strip in half, take a needle and thread and gather along the straight edge (make a row of loose running stitches and pull the thread tight to gather the fabric).  When you have it all gathered make a little stitch to join the ends.  Ta-da - a flower.   We used a little piece of sticky strip to attach them to the card front.  Bright buttons were put in the center with mini glue dots.  The stems are just narrow strips of Old Olive.  The small heart punch was used to make the leaves. 
What a cheery card - and could be used for almost any occasion just by changing the sentiment.

Pleated Doilies
And for the challenge of the evening - the pleated doilies card.   They really loved this card - not sure they will make another though.   Delicate doilies were stamped randomly on Melon Mambo using Whisper White craft ink.  A strip of fabric 1 1/2 inches wide was used.  We pleated it (folding repeatedly with the folds not overlapping - and 'pressed' the creases with a bone folder.  Leave about an inch of unpleated fabric at the start and pleated enough to cover the card front. 
It worked best to do this before adhering it to the card front.  We put two strips of sticky strip on the card front where we wanted our fabric.  Then add the fabric - you don't want to try to keep it pleated - let it open up and start at one edge pressing a single section to the sticky strip.  Watching the bottom edge to try to stay fairly straight, continue with the rest of the pleated sections.  Adhere the ends to the back (trim if necessary).
A piece of white stitched 1/4 inch grosgrain was added.   This makes it look like you stitched through the fabric - and helps to hold the pleats flat.   We added a Melon Mambo stamped doily (had to cut it out by hand - the scallop punch did not line up with the design) - and a sentiment tag - also cut by hand.
And here are the projects I showed them -
Framed artwork
A small frame with fabric and quilt batting in the photo opening.  Decorated with a novelty brooch I got from my sister.  Added a little ribbon and a button and a cute little decoration for a desk or shelf.   This could be used to display a keepsake or anything you can attach to the fabric.

Pincushion Button Jar
A jelly jar converted into a button jar with pincushion top.   This also uses a piece of fabric and quilt batting placed inside the lid on the flat, then pushed inside the ring.   I added a ribbon and bow and some coordinated buttons.
A flower attached to a headband - the flower is made from 8 scalloped circles.  The circles are folded in 1/4 and layered on top of each other.  I tied a piece of crocheted lace through the button and attached it to the stack of circles with a needle and thread.  I sewed a safety pin to the back and then used that to attach it to the headband.  It can be removed easily and worn as a brooch or added as an adornment to a purse, hat, whatever you can think of.

Baby Bonnet
And - my favorite.  I took a white crocheted baby cap that I had made and added a piece of Rose Red seam binding then made a cute flower using two sizes of circles.  I cut at least 6 or each size and folded them in half.  Layered them with the larger on the bottom of the stack and added a Rose Red button to hold them all together.  I used mini glue dots to add an adornment to the center of the button.  Too cute!
This one was especially fun to do since I am going to be a grandma in April - have to start thinking baby projects :-)  
Hope you enjoyed seeing our fabric workshop.  I still have some scrapbook ideas and clothing iron-ons to play with :-)  More baby projects!

No comments: