Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The family ate eggplant - and enjoyed it !

We got an eggplant in the produce basket this week. The family has never been very receptive to eggplant. So - I began my search for a recipe I thought they might like. Of course, my experience with eggplant has been Ratatouille (not a big hit) or Eggplant Parmigiana (seemed like a lot of work and between frying the vegetable in oil and thick breading defeated my purpose of healthier meals)
I found a community recipe on Weight Watchers online that sounded like it might be the answer. Instead of heavily breading the eggplant, the recipe uses egg white and dried bread crumbs for a light breading. No frying in oils but baking the breaded slices helped cut down the calories/points.
Now - to just get the family to eat it. DD helped me assemble the layers which is always a good way to get someone interested in a new dish. DH was really hungry by the time dinner was ready so that might have helped too. I also made some homemade dinner rolls so there was plenty for him to fill up on if he didn't care for the eggplant. He was not enthused to say the least.


The family concensus was - "That was good!" I even have DH's approval to make it again. It was very tasty - and with the dinner roll and some fresh veggies you have a meal. You can find my version of the recipe here, Baked Eggplant Parmigiana

No comments: